Thanks Max and Chip, I didn't realis that \< and \> were used to denote the beginning and end of the word and therefore they could be used separately, I always just thought of them as a way of getting an exact match, which I suppose is almost the same thing, however, I still don't understand why you can't exclusively mark the start of this string with \<

Thanks for the help,
Rob.

Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
Max Dyckhoff wrote:

As I understand it, the \< and \> tokens represent the beginning and end
of a word. This means that the character immediately after the \< token
must be a word character, namely letters, numbers, and underscore (as
defined by the iskeyword option).

Max

...snip: At some points in my code I had a variable that was a pointer

that
was denoted (in C) by:

*iterNum

I wanted to replace instances of exactly this string globally between

my
present position and line 791, with:

So try

 :791,.s/\*iterNum\>/j/g

(or :.,791s/...  depending on what your current line is rltv to 791)

Regards,
Chip Campbell