On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:09:29AM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
[..]

> >>and it can change fonts on-the-fly (change
> >>the font from Courier to Lucida to whatever, only through Vim keyboard
> >>commands).
> >
> >I would never want do that.. but just out of curiosity.. why would that
> >not be possible in an xterm?
>
> because console Vim has no control over the xterm's fonts.

ok.  a bit more flexible than toggling the xterm's font.

> >>It can do "real" boldface and italics, as well as straight or
> >>curly underlining.
> >
> >That would be for highlighting stuff, right? So the same functionality
> >can be achieved with colors.  And in a more pleasing manner IMHO.. the
> >color schemes that I have seen that use italics have not convinced me.
>
> I do html a lot, and it helps me to see <i>italics, <b>bold italics,

.. meaning you can toggle between the source version and the rendered
version of the document in Vim?

> Of course colours can do it, but console vim has only 16 bg and 16 fg
> colours: the list is soon over.

.. my mistake.. I never counted them and I thought that console Vim on
a 256-color xterm was capable of displaying 256 colors simultaneoulsy.

[..]

> Note: ":setl fenc=latin9" follows by ":setl fenc?" returns
> "iso-8859-15". This is normal, they are two names for the same thing.
>

> >So this should help clarify the issue.

> >>For more details, see
> >>  :help mbyte.txt
> >>  http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=246