Roel Vanhout wrote:

In the vim Explorer (:Explore), I can create a new directory by pressing 'd' and typing the directoryname. Is there something similar for creating a new, empty file? I've looked through the documentation but couldn't find anything. I now press 'c' and type :new <filename>, but that's error-prone (I usually forget to press 'c' and end up with a file in the wrong directory). Thanks.

Have you considered having
 let g:netrw_keepdir= 0
in your <.vimrc>? That way the current directory (:pwd) will track what netrw uses for the current directory, and so creating a new empty file (:enew, for example) will be made in the directory you're expecting.

Regards,
Chip Campbell