Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a good solution to an annoying problem I seem to
cause myself.

When you type a command in vim that results in text scrolling up the screen -
eg :messages or :registers, you will be hit by one of two comments:
Press ENTER or type command to continue

OR

-- More --

depending upon whether there are more lines to display.  Often, I want to good
way to immediately go back to editing from either of these situations.

To quit the "more" situation, pressing "q" seems to be a good option.  It will
also appear to work for the "Press ENTER or type a command" situation, in that
it appears to be a command which in turn clears the text.

However, in the "Press ENTER" situation, that q will be remembered as the start
of a command.  If you then go to give another colon command - the command line
window will open (no matter how long you wait it seems).

The command line window opens in normal mode, not insert mode - which means the
command I've just started typing doesn't register - and this, fundamentally, is
the problem I'd like to solve.  All solutions considered.

One would be to press escape instead of q - it works for both situations above
- but it's much more of a finger-stretch than pressing q.  (A lesser but
slightly annoying problem is that it causes my visual bell to fire in the
"Press Enter" situation, since we're already in normal mode.)

I tried the option from the vim help in the cmdline.txt file
        :au CmdwinEnter *  startinsert

but this doesn't seem to work fully - at least the first character I type is
always missed (using vim 7 with patches 1-42).

I'd be very grateful to hear how other people execute the task of telling vim
"okay, I've read enough info from that command - get rid of it now please".

Thanks,
John