Robert Cussons wrote:
Carlos Liu wrote:
On 8/2/06, Tim Chase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
> to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
> sit in the bottom of the screen.

Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.

        :help 'scrolloff'

will provide details on this.  It allows you to keep a certain
number of lines on the screen at the same time.  If you set it to
an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
vertically on the screen.

That's exactly what I want. Thank you!

This is more out of interest to increase my knowledge of vim, but wouldn't incorporting the 'zz' command from normal mode somehow achieve the same?

yes, but only temporarily. zz moves the current cursor line to the middle of the screen, then proceeds with normal editing (and, if inserting, the cursor will usually stray to the bottom before scrolling starts again). With a non-zero 'scrolloff' you can keep a user-defined number of "context lines" above and below the cursor line: for instance, with ":set scrolloff=1" Vim will always (if possible) show not only the cursor line but also one line on each side of it; with ":set scrolloff=99999" it will keep the cursor line centered and scroll the text as you type.