Yep. It is all up to the server, the http protocol doesn't really recognize
concepts such as directories or files, it is URLs. A trailing slash could
return a 30x redirect to a file (such as index|default.xxx) or return a html
web-page. That page, might look like a directory listing, as that
ftp.vim.org example - but the client or the protocol doesn't recognize it as
anything other than a normal http request...

/Hugo