Thanks everyone for your help on this! The advice below seems to be all that I need.

I forgot to ask one last thing - if I'm searching for something in a text file, can I have vim select every existing string that matches up to what I've typed at that point? Meaning, if the first two characters of what I'm looking for are "va", all "va" gets highlighted as I type, then when I add "ria" to that, all "varia" strings get highlighted.

thanks!
-lev