Donn Washburn wrote:
[...]
Thanks Tony;

As for a temp backup I do agree so that vim can repair/replace a goof instead of memory. I just get tired of removing file~ and finding out that I needed to find the "~" keyy to complete it.

Thanks again and I will seeks out more use of vim help.

If you don't have a ~ key, or if it's hard to get on your national keyboard (on my Belgian keyboard it's AltGr-equals followed by space), you can have Vim display the directory (e.g., ":split ./" for the current directory or ":split %:p:h" for the directory of the current file) then move the cursor to the line with the backup filename, (double-check that it's not the version you want to keep) and hit D (i.e., shift-d).

see ":help pi_netrw.txt"