On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 12:11:04PM EDT, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 08:47:42AM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 05:53:56AM EDT, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Can anyone explain me how the font for menu in GUI is selected? I have 3
> > > computers with the same set of fonts and the same configuration for
> > > fonconfig, the same version of gvim (different GTK though) and on all
> > > 3 machines I get different menu font :) The worse is on the laptop.
> > > There the font is large and in Bold, so it takes quite a big portion of
> > > the fairly small screen :)
> >
> > Does this affect all gtk apps or just gvim?
>
> Hm. Firefox is OK. xine has the same problem, but it is not compiled
> with GTK. Aha, gimp has exactly the same menu. So it is problem of GTK.

This may be a gross misunderstanding on my part but this sounds like
the version of FF you are running is fontconfig-aware while the other
apps ain't.

I sorted out my GUI font problems about eighteen months ago and my
memories are getting a bit shaky now -- especially since I decided some
3-4 months ago to dump the GUI for good.

> > In my case all gtk apps -- such as gimp, mozilla, .. were using the same
> > oversized and rather ugly font.
> >
> > I solved my global gtk font problems by editing the contents of:
> >
> > ~/.gtkrc
> > ~/.gtkrc-2.0
>
> Hm. I didn't have neither of these files and didn't know how
> to create them.

I found that the safest/quickest way is to:

1. Download and install gnome
2. Start a gnome session & tweak your fonts
3. Optionally, remove gnome from your HD

Yes, I'm still a little pissed about the whole thing.

:-)

> Googling didn't provide any samples neither. So, I guess
> this is a top secret info :)

This is precisely the problem I ran into.

> Fortunately I've found gtk-chtheme program
> and using it could set up better alternative.
>
> Thank you for the tip.

Glad I could help.

Thanks

cga