And then I decide that I want to remove $blah2, so I start to press
backspace from here:

fucntion foo() {
    $blah;
    $blah2; <----- cursor here
}

and then when I get to the beginning of the line, it stops. Can I make
it so that it will follow up to the end of $blah on the previous line?

Sounds like you want to tweak your 'backspace' option.

        :set backspace

should tell you what it currently is.

        :help 'backspace'

should describe what's available in how backspace behaves with regards to various conditions.

You likely want to have a line in your vimrc that looks something like

        set backspace=indent,eol,start

that will allow you to backspace over all three categories of things that might not otherwise be backspace-over-able. :)

-tim