Thanks you for quick answer

-----Original Message-----
From: A.J.Mechelynck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 12:22 PM
To: Vu The Cuong
Cc: vim@vim.org
Subject: Re: _vimrc in fedora core 5

Vu The Cuong wrote:
> Currently I'm using win XP.
> I just install dual OS with fedora core 5 and I installed vim 7
> mannually from source. installation successful.
> I created .gvimrc in my home folder and I put gvimrc.vim.example in to

> this folder but vim seems not detected this file.
> Could anyone tell me what's the exact name of this file under linux?
> Thanks

Under Linux, Vim will read:
  1) $HOME/.vimrc and if not found, $HOME/_vimrc
  2) only in GUI mode: $HOME/.gvimrc and if not found, $HOME/_gvimrc

These are files, not folders. If you want to use the example scripts, I
recommend to source (using ":source" or ":runtime") them than copy them:

that way, if ever there is a bugfix to them you won't be stuck with the
older version.

Under Windows, the searching order is reversed (underscores first, then
dots). Thus, on a dual-boot system, if your HOME folder is the same, you
can have a single vimrc called either .vimrc or _vimrc provided that
there is no file by the other name; or one for Linux with a dot and
another one for Windows with an underscore.

Personally I don't use the gvimrc; I have built my own vimrc around the
line "runtime vimrc_example.vim" which invokes the example script. Most
user settings go after that line; a ":language messages" command (if
any) goes before it if it is to set the languages for the menus.

The reason is I find it easier to maintain a single rc file; any
settings peculiar to gvim or to console vim can be wrapped as follows

        if has("gui_running")
                " settings for gvim
        else
                " settings for console Vim
        endif

Even if you prefer to have a separate gvimrc, remember that gvim also
reads the vimrc; so if you have settings in the vimrc which are for
"console Vim" only you will still have to wrap them in "if !
has('gui_running')".

After looking at what there is in the gvimrc_example, I don't miss it.
Some settings (such as "set ch=2 hlsearch") I have set in my vimrc so
Console Vim and gvim behave identically; ":set mousehide" isn't
necessary since it is the default; and whatever colors displease me I
have changed in a small colorscheme named almost-default.vim. As for the
'guifont', the example given in a comment won't work on all systems; I
use, in my vimrc, a snippet of code similar to what is mentioned under
":help setting-guifont", but slightly more complicated because there is
still a version of kvim (gvim for kde) on this system, and that requires
a 4th 'guifont' format.