From: "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to insert text via script/function call ?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:29:05 +0200

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I often need to place a header above a function defintion (C-source)
> >  fpr documentational purposes.
> >
> >  What I treid is to write a short function for vim, which dioes insert
> >  the text skeleton -- but I did not find any already existing function
> >  in the API which does this for me. With :i I got weird effects --
> >  sure my fault, but... .
> >
> >  How can I insert text via a script ?
> >
> >  Kind regards,
> >  mcc
> >

> If your text is in a file on its own, you can use ":r" with a line
> number (the number of the line after which to insert, or 0 for "before
> first line", or . for "after cursor line", or $ for "after last line";
> default is after cursor line) in the "range" position, i.e. just before
> the r. The file name comes as an argument at the end.
>
> Example (after line 5):
>
>       5r ~/template.txt
>
> If your text is in a register, you can use ":put" with a line number
> (again) in the range position and the register name (including ", which
> must be escaped as \", for the default register; or + for the system
> clipboard) after the ":put".
>
> Example (before cursor line):
>
>       .-1put \"
>

> See
>       :help :read
>       :help :put
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony,

 thank you for your reply ! :)

 No, sorry...I was simply searching for a function call like

         printf( "This is my text!" )

 but instead of C and printing onto stdout it should be vim-script
 and the text should go right at the current cursor position.

 Thats all.
 No registers, no script magic, not extra files. Simply put a string
 after the cursor into the text.

 Keep hacking!
 mcc