Peter Hodge wrote:
Sorry,

In my example I meant to use

  if("string(string")

and not

  if('string(string')

because double-quotes DO work, single-quotes do not.

- Peter

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but parens/brackets/braces which are _alone_ inside single quotes are skipped, but not if they are part of a longer string.

Example:

(     ')'     'string)xx(string'    '('      )
1      2             3  4            5       6

With the cursor on a parenthese, % jumps between 6 and 4 or between 1 and 3, ignoring 2 and 5. But |matchparen| shows 1 and 2, also 5 and 6, as being conjugate. (IIUC, you would expect both %-jumping and matchparen pairing between 1 and 6, and I agree.)

I tested this in an unnamed buffer (displayed as [No Name], and with 'filetype' empty) so the matchit plugin didn't intervene.

?:-|