On 2006-09-07, Daniel Nogradi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'll address a couple of issues that haven't been answered yet.

> I'm sure it has been brought up a couple of times but still I couldn't
> find an answer to searching through multiple files in a convenient
> way. What I would like vim to do is:
>
> 1. search only for keywords like the * command

> 3. highlight matches like the * command

The * doesn't search for only keywords, it searches for whole words.
If you like the results you get from using * though, you can use it
with :vimgrep by first typing * on the word you want to search for,
then executing this:

    :vimgrep /^R// **/*

where the ^R/ (that is Ctrl-R followed by a slash) inserts the
contents of the search register.  This will include the \< and \>
that vim uses to delimit words in patterns and will also highlight
the matches found by :vimgrep.

You could also write a mapping to combine those steps into one.

> Would this be possible with vim 6?

Not using :vimgrep, but you can use :grep in much the same way.

    :grep -R '^R/' .

Not all greps understand the \< \> notation.  If you have one that
doesn't, you can use the g* command instead of * and then this:

    :grep -R -w '^R/' .

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Wireless Division