From: "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: splitting $HOME/.vimrc
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 05:04:30 +0200

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  for my zsh I split the .zshrc in several files, which contain only
> >  related things. For example all "bindkey"-related things go into
> >  .zsh.bindkey.
> >
> >  .zshrc only sources those parts if available. Make things more
> >  readable.
> >
> >  I would like to do the same thing with my $HOME/.vimrc.
> >
> >  I looked into
> >
> >    :he source
> >
> >  but "source" seems to work for ex commands only, or ?
> >
> >  Is there a way, to "source" several files as startup files from
> >  within $HOME/.vimrc, without a too great performance penalty on
> >  startup time ?
> >
> >  Keep hacking!
> >  mcc
> >

> Your vimrc is supposed to consist of ex-commands only (ex-commands are the
> commands you can type in Normal mode by prefixing them with a colon; in a
> script such as the vimrc, the colon is not necessary). So you should be able
> to dissect your vimrc into, let's say,
>
>       if has('unix')
>               language messages C
>       else
>               language messages en
>       endif
>       runtime vimrc_example.vim
>       source ~/rc1.vim
>       source ~/rc2.vim
>       source ~/rc3.vim
>
> An alternative would be to create "user-plugins", scripts which you would
> place in ~/.vim/plugin/ (for Unix) or ~/vimfiles/plugin/ (for Windows). They
> would then be sourced automagically in (probably) alphabetical order, just
> before the global plugins (i.e., after your ~/.vimrc): see the output of the
> ":scriptnames" command.
>
> (and if you don't yet have the required directory, create it with:
>
> on Linux:
>
>       mkdir -p ~/.vim/plugin
>
> on Windows:
>
>       cd %HOME%
>       md vimfiles
>       cd vimfiles
>       md plugin
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony, :)

 thank you for your helpful reply !

 Initially I thought, ex-commands were only a small subset of all
 commands, which can be used after ":".

 But...

 If _all_ commands, which are valid after ":", are ex-commands...the situation
is
 quite simple.

 By the way: I am using Linux. Since kernel 1.1.54 my room has no
 windows anymore.... ;)

 Keep hacking!
 mcc