Right you are Tony, that is exactly how I wrote it.

SrchRplcHiGrp.vim  - Search and Replace based on a highlight group
http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=848

Basic usage:
Place your cursor on the highlighted text.
:SRChooseHiGrp
It tells you what it found:
SRHiGrp - Group ID: 268  Name: vimLet

Or:
:SRChooseHiGrp!
SRHiGrp - Group ID: 49  Name: Statement

Add the ! if you want the base color.

Then you can visually select the region you want, the plugin supports all 3
visual modes (characterwise, linewise and blockwise).

Then run:
:'<,'>SRHiGrp

It asks you for 2 pieces of information:
1.  What to match (via a regex) default is current word - '\(\w\+\>\)'
2.  What to do with the match.  The default is to UPPERCASE the match -
'\U\1'

You can also use this plugin to just search for highlight groups using the
SRSeach command.

:h SRHiGrp

Enjoy, and please rate it if you find it helpful.
Feedback is always welcome.

Dave