On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 at 2:53pm, Fletcher Mattox wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I edit two files by typing ":e foo" and ":e #", vim remembers
> my current location in each and kindly positions me there when
> I revisit them.  However, when I edit three or more files, vim forgets
> where I was and always positions the cursor at the top of the file.
> How do I get vim to remember where I was in an arbitrary number
> of files?
>
> Thanks
> Fletcher

My observation is that if you don't have 'hidden' option set, Vim will
unload the buffer when it is hidden. And when you reopen the file using
the :e command, it results in getting reloaded, and Vim discards the
saved position (somehow this doesn't apply to :e#). A better way is to
open existing buffers using :buf and :sbuf commands (which preseve the
position) and use :edit only to load new buffers. The :buf commands also
allow you to complete names from loaded buffers.

--
HTH,
Hari