Kevin Sorrentino wrote:
Hello All,

I am new to compiling vim, but a longtime user. I
would like to get some of the new features in vim 7.0
but am having trouble compiling it for Red Hat
enterprise edition 3ES. There does not appear to be am
rpm to just install it, therefor I am trying to
compile it.

The "configure" command appears to complete normally.
When I type make I get these messages at the end:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so when searching for -lXt
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.a when searching for -lXt
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vim] Error 1

I have run "compile -disable-gui --without-x" and the
compile completes normally, but the resulting vim
executable does not have the features I need.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin

Let us not say that in the greatest of       Kevin Sorrentino
deeds or in the greatest of men there        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
is perfection.  For in all that thy
hand achieves there will always be one
falt.

Apparently your X11 libraries are incompatible with what Vim expects.

In your shell, enter

        rpm -qa |grep x11

This will give you the names and versions of all your installed X11 packages. You need "development" packages for everything that Vim uses, and the version number of the "development" packages must be the same as those of the corresponding "non-development" packages.

I have, among others,

xorg-x11-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-Mesa-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-Mesa-devel-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-Xvnc-6.8.2-30.4
xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-fonts-cyrillic-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-fonts-scalable-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-fonts-syriac-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-30.3
xorg-x11-man-6.8.2-30
xorg-x11-server-6.8.2-30.7
xorg-x11-server-glx-6.8.2-30

and have no problems compiling gvim. I suppose the important ones are xorg-x11, xorg-x11-devel and/or xorg-x11-libs