Yongwei Wu wrote:
Hi Benji,

On 10/12/06, Benji Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 12:37:33AM +0800, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> This is a report of what I have already achieved. If you are dealing
> with more encodings than the fileencodings option can handle, esp. if
> you read and write Simplified and Traditional Chinese, please read on.

     I write English almost exclusively, so this is not something I will
use.  If this is useful for others (and I expect it will be) then I
suggest posting it as a script at http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php .
In the description, you can post a link (as snipped below) to tellenc.
Perhaps you can package your vim functions as a plugin so that they can
be used without adding anything to the vimrc file.

:help write-plugin

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher

I thought of doing this, but this seems far too personal. My script
works best on Simplified Chinese locale, with the ability to tell
between utf-8, gb2312/gbk, big5, and latin1. Some small tweaks are
probably needed when the environment or requirements are different. So
maybe it is more suitable to be a tip.

If it is only in the mailing list, it can quickly get lost. So I will
consider your suggestion and try to do something.

I suspect you are not the only person using Vim to edit Simplified Chinese; furthermore, I suspect that your script might be useful, if only as a source of inspiration, to someone wishing to discriminate between the various encodings used for the other CJK languages, viz. Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean. IMHO it would be better as a script than as a tip because it is easier to upload new versions of a script. Or maybe a script to "do the job" and a tip explaining to Vim users, in pain language, what to look for when trying to guess the encoding for CJK text files.