Lev Lvovsky wrote:

On Oct 16, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:

Seems a reasonable choice, to me.  Any choice would be arbitrary.

Now, to turn it off: don't use insert.  Use append.

if you mean 'a' as opposed to 'i' for the modes, it still does the same thing in my version.

thanks,
-lev

When you hit 'a' in Normal mode, the cursor moves one character right while going into Insert mode, so that compensates for the leftwards move which happens on <Esc> in Insert mode.

In Normal mode, the cursor must lie on a character (assuming you're not using 'virtualedit'). In Insert mode, the cursor can be either on a character, or just after the last character on a line (in gvim, the Insert-mode cursor is normally a thin vertical line along the left side of its character cell, but it must still be regarded as being "on" a character cell). So there are one more possible cursor positions on each line in Insert mode than in Normal mode. The choice which (IIUC) the authors of Vi (ancestor to Vim) originally made, was to have the cursor move back by one character when going from Insert to Normal, except when at the left margin. The alternative would have been to have the cursor stay put, except when at the end of the line. I suppose either choice had arguments in its favour, but we're stuck with the choice that was made. Once you're accustomed to it, it stops chafing. One argument in favour of the choice that was made, is that when typing in new text you're usually at the end of the line (pushing the end of the line with the text you're adding), so it would have been awkward to have that be the exception.