Benji Fisher wrote:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:28:28PM +0200, Robert Cussons wrote:

Jean-Rene David wrote:

[snip]

"--------------< cut here >---------------------------
" Search for visually selected text {{{
" From an idea by Michael Naumann, Jürgen Krämer.
function! VisualSearch(direction) range
 let l:saved_reg = @"
 execute "normal! vgvy"
 let l:pattern = escape(@", '\\/.*$^~[]')
 let l:pattern = substitute(l:pattern, "\n$", "", "")
 if a:direction == 'b'
    execute "normal ?" . l:pattern . "
"
 else
    execute "normal /" . l:pattern . "
"
 endif
 let @/ = l:pattern
 let @" = l:saved_reg
endfunction

vnoremap <silent> * :call VisualSearch('f')<CR>
vnoremap <silent> # :call VisualSearch('b')<CR>
"--------------< cut here >---------------------------

     I think the original included raw CR characters in the two :execute
lines.  Both are intended to end with "^M" (which is how they appeared
in my copy of Jean-Rene's note).  I think your e-mail client broke the
lines, leading to syntax errors.

That may well be, don't know too much about how mozilla -mail works

     I try to avoid such problems by not including raw CR, ESC, etc.
characters in my vim scripts.  I suggest replacing the two :execute
lines with
     execute "normal ?" . l:pattern . "\<CR>"
and
     execute "normal /" . l:pattern . "\<CR>"

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher

Everything seems to work fine now, except the searched for items aren't highlighted like they normally are when I search, is there a simple reason or am I just asking for too much, sorry I can't sort this out myself, but I don't understand the function well enough to see a possilbe reason, the only thing I could think of that might cause it would be this in my .vimrc

" Clears search highlighting by just hitting a return.
" The <BS> clears the command line.
" (From Zdenek Sekera [EMAIL PROTECTED]  on the vim list.)
" I added the final <cr> to restore the standard behaviour of
" <cr> to go to the next line and the mz and `z to return the cursor to its
" precommand position
:nnoremap <CR> mz:nohlsearch<CR>/<BS><CR>`z

However, if this were interfering it would clear the command line as well and I don't see that so it can't be the cause.

Thanks,
Rob.