On 10/30/06, Alexander C. Gaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yongwei Wu wrote:
> When using Courier New, I can display ASCII, Latin1, Greek, Cyrillic,
> Arabic, Hebrew, Yiddish, as well as Chinese and Japanese (NSimsun
> seems automatically used), text at the same time.
Thank you so very much! I think I found a solution to my problems by
using the NSimsun font as my guifontwide:

:set guifont=Courier_New:h11
:set guifontwide=NSimsun:h11

That works (though it does not look as good as the automatic font
mapping). Because of the different font widths, the following lines
may work better than yours:

:set guifont=Courier_New:h10
:set guifontwide=NSimsun:h12

I can't quite test now if I can see all characters, but I should
definitely give this a try. I also tried :set
guifontwide=Bitstream_Cyberbit:h11 and :set
guifontwide=TITUS_Cyberbit_Basic:h11 but, while this seems to work fine
in Vim 6.4, it is no longer recognized as a valid font (???) in Vim 7.0.

Cyberbit is not a monospaced font, I suppose.

Now, the best thing would be a monospaced font having all the Unicode
characters ;) but the day that will exist, it would be my dream come
true (and probably, by then, I had moved on from this, and no longer
need it...).

I would prefer better a user-configurable font mapping (doable in
Linux; don't know how to achieve it in Windows), like the Java
font.properties. Because of the Unification of Han characters, the
shape of some Chinese characters can hardly be perfect for all users
of Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (some
characters in Cyberbit look really ugly in my eyes). In the world of
Unicode, pure text without language tags is becoming even a little
more irrelevant :-(.

Best regards,

Yongwei

--