Hi Mr. Chase;

Just for future reference, you'll likely want to "Reply to all" (or "Reply to list" depending on your mailer) so that your answers get copied to the list. This allows you to tap all the wisdom of the list, not just my meager offerings. Additionally, it helps bypass spam filters...I have email addresses configured for each of the mailing lists I'm on---if you email this address and don't also CC the mailing list (and aren't in my whitelist of regulars on the list), my mail filters automatically mark the message as suspect spam, dumping the message into my junk folder at the mercy of my schedule for cleaning it out. Or I could be on holiday and not get your email for a week as you languish, thinking I'm ignoring you. :)

You asked, "What is your foldmethod"
    set foldmethod=indent
    set foldlevel=0

Okay...since your foldmethod isn't Manual, you can't delete the fold, but must rather just open the fold.

You also asked 'command line or other' ?
Yes, command line. E.g.

    vi +205 source_file

Ah.

You should be able to change that to

        vi +205 -c "norm cO" source

I tried getting an autocmd to do it for me, but I exhausted my vim mojo. Perhaps one of the other brains on the list can get something to work. I tried variations of

au BufEnter * if foldlevel(line('.')) > 0 | exec 'norm zO' | endif

with a host of events (BufEnter, BufRead, WinEnter, GUIEnter, etc) but with no joy. I also tried "l" ("ell", not the number one) instead of "zO", to no avail.

All said, however, I'm not sure that typing

        -c "norm cO"

on the command line gains you anything over one press of the ell key which will do the same thing. ;-)

    VeriSilicon Inc.
    Plano TX. 75074

Hey, I drive by you nearly daily as my commute passes right through Plano on my way to Richardson! It's a small world. :)

-tim