Thanks to all, the abbreviation method seems to work now. I had used
'abbreviate' in my _vimrc file and it wasn't working. I changed it to
'ab' and it works fine. I'm not sure if I read the message wrong or if
both should work.

Anyway thanks again for all the help.

On 11/2/06, Yegappan Lakshmanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/2/06, Bill McCarthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu 2-Nov-06 4:11pm -0600, Richard Querin wrote:
>
> > The abbreviation method seems the simplest for me at the
> > moment, but I can't seem to figure out how to make a
> > multiline abbreviation in my .vimrc file. I've tried using
> > <CR> characters in the string and quoting it as well..
> > both to no avail. Any hints?
>
> Actually, using the <CR> characters should work fine.
> Perhaps you have some setting interfering.  You should be

Check the 'cpoptions' option setting. To use symbolic representation
of key codes in maps and abbreviations, make sure  the '<' flag is
not present in 'cpoptions'. To use raw key-codes in a map or
abbreviation, make sure the 'k' flag is not present in 'cpoptions'.

- Yegappan