Tom Purl wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Dr. Chip!  I tried installing both the latest
version of netrw and Decho, but I'm seeing a weird problem.

Here's the process that I used to install these plugins:

   vim plugin.vba.gz
   so %

And here's what the plugins look like on the file system (Linux) after
running said process:

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/.vim $ find . -type f -name "*Decho*"
   ./doc/Decho.txt?[[[1
   ./plugin/Decho.vim?[[[1
   ./syntax/Decho.vim?[[[1
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/.vim $ find . -type f -name "*netrw*"
   ./doc/pi_netrw.txt?[[[1
   ./plugin/netrwPlugin.vim?[[[1
   ./syntax/netrw.vim?[[[1
   ./autoload/netrw.vim?[[[1
   ./autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim?[[[1
   ./autoload/netrwSettings.vim?[[[1

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Yes -- its due to an out-of-date vimball plugin. You need to get an up-to-date version of vimball (v18 or later),
and to remove any previous vimball remnants.

Regards,
Chip Campbell