On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 05:08:47AM -0800, Muddassirali Mirzani wrote:
> The GVIM i'm using is compiled by the system admin.
> The syntax directory (common to all users)  the GVIM
> executable points does not allow me to write.
> I have downloaded a new syntax file (vera.vim) and
> placed it in my $HOME/.vim/syntax and modified the
> filetype.vim (in $HOME/.vim/)appropriate file
> extensions recognize this syntax file. (i.e.   au
> BufNewFile,BufRead *.vr,*.vri,*.vrh set ft=vera)
> I source the filetype.vim and set syntax on in my
> .gvimrc
> Now when I try to open somefile.vr it doesn't 'syntax
> highlight' the file . but if i check with :set
> syntax=<tab> it gives me vera .
> (If I source the vera.vim file in .gvimrc it give the
> syntax highlighting.)
> I tried to set the $VIMRUNTIME to $HOME/.vim but was
> of no avail.
>
> How do I get GVIM to read these syntax files ?
>
> :version gives the following output
> :version
> VIM - Vi IMproved 5.7 (2000 Jun 24, compiled Mar 15
> 2001 16:09:17)

     We are using vim 7.0 these days.  If you cannot talk your sysadmin
to upgrade, maybe you can just compile it yourself and install to
$HOME/bin/ ?

     Try something like this:

:set verbose=2
:e foo.vr
:set ft? syntax?

What do you get?  Also, do you have syntax highlighting for other file
types?

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher