DervishD wrote:
    Hi all :))

    The default timeout setting makes me working a bit slow, but
disabling timeout is a problem because I have to hit <ESC> twice. So
I've decided to drastically decrease the timeoutlen parameter, so I
can edit fast and only have to hit <ESC> once most of the time.

    I have no mappings that share the first letters, so I have no
problems with a very short timeout, but I'm worried about the default
keys. Is there any command that will stop working with a very short
timeout? My terminal is quite fast, so cursors and other mappings
work ok with a timeoutlen of 100...

    On the other hand, learning vim is being very simple, much easier
than I thought, and is very useful for coding!

    Thanks :)))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

There are two different timeouts: one for multibyte keycodes, the other for multikey mappings. If you're a fast typer on a fast line, you can e.g. use

        :set timeout timeoutlen=750 ttimeoutlen=75

meaning you have to type the successive keys of a multikey mapping faster than one every 3/4 of a second, and that the successive bytes of the keyboard code for a special key have to be fed by the keyboard driver into the keyboard buffer faster than once every 75 milliseconds.

I like to be able to pause for a second or two (sometimes) in the middle of a mapping, so I use a slower setting:

        :set timeout timeoutlen=5000 ttimeoutlen=250

meaning I won't pause for more than 5 seconds in the middle of a mapping, and I won't type faster than once every quarter-second (if there is a risk of confusion with a special-key code).

Note that even if you type fast, <Esc> is remembered, even if you don't see it yet: hit the next key, such as a hjkl cursor movement key, and you should see the movement.

See
        :help 'timeout'
        :help 'ttimeout'
        :help 'timeoutlen'