On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Vim may very well be able to do that with built-in commands. I use
the external paragraph reformatter 'par-1.52' for this:
For example, to format and justify this reply in vim, I used:
 :'<,'>!par 66j
No, this doesn't answer my question.

My question is not about the formatting ability of vim. Rather, it is
about precisely stating the end of a paragraph in a quoted message that
has leading ">"s.

In the example below, the first paragraph ends with the word
"appropriately." If I type gqap, vim will format the line beginning with
the word "However" too. I don't want that to happen.

I  know   vim  understands  character
sequences that delimit comments in various
programming languages and gqap formats them
appropriately.

However, while  typing a  reply to an  e-mail,
the gqap command

Thanks,
Senthil.