I believe both versions of Vim get its initial info from ~/.bashrc.
In my ~/.vimrc I have the following entry:

" make sure Vim uses the bash shell
set shell=bash

Which verion(s) are you using? I have OS X 10.4.8 and the command line version of Vim is 6.3.82. The GUI version is 7.0. Other than some goofy font issues, the GUI version is more useful and has some rather nice features (tabs for one) that aren't available in the earlier command line version.

Kevin