On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 15:39 -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2007-01-15, Erin Spiceland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > #5 indicates that, as Tim said, you have 'cp' set.  But vim sets
> > > 'nocp' automatically when it detects and sources an initialization
> > > file named .vimrc or _vimrc.  Therefore, it appears that your vimrc
> > > file is not being sourced, which would explain #1.
> > >
> > > Executing :version will show you where your vim is looking for its
> > > initialization files and :scriptnames will show you the
> > > initialization files vim actually sourced.  Reading
> > >
> > >     :help initialization
> > >
> > > will also help you understand what should be happening when you
> > > start vim and may help you track down the root problem.
>
> > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
> >
> > $VIM is set to "/usr/local/share/vim" but /usr/local/share/vim/vimrc
> > doesn't exist, and a vimrc does exist in /etc. How can I change it to
> > use /etc?
>
> There is something wrong with your installation.  If vim had never
> before been installed on that server, then the only way for
> /etc/vimrc to have appeared was for your installation process to
> have created it.  But if you configured vim to look for vimrc in
> /usr/local/share/vim, then that's where your installation process
> should have put it.  The "right" place to put it depends on your
> system and where you want to put stuff and, if you are not the
> system administrator, where you are allowed to put stuff.
>
> You'll have to give us more details of your system and how you
> configured vim for us to sort this out properly.
>
> You wrote originally that there were some features missing or not
> working in this installation.  That implies that you have used them
> before where they did work.  How did you get them to work then?  Did
> you have your own ~/.vimrc or just a system vimrc?  If you had just
> a system vimrc and that is the file now in /etc, I would just move
> that file to /usr/local/share/vim.  On the Unix systems where I have
> installed vim, I don't even have a system vimrc--I just use
> ~/.vimrc.
>
> There are also ways to set environment variables to get vim to look
> in other places for initialization files, but since you built this
> vim from scratch, it would be better for you to reconfigure and
> rebuild it to get it right, or at least self-consistent.
>

> The preferred replying style in the vim list is to put the quoted
> text on top and your reply underneath, so I have reformatted your
> reply to that style.
>
> Also, don't forget to reply to the list rather than to just the
> author of the message to which you are replying, so that everyone in
> the list can follow the discussion and help in solving the problem,
> or see that it has been solved.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

Thanks for the tips.  This server was supposedly a fresh install of RHE.
I say that vim was not installed only because I tried to use it and got
the bash "command not found" message. I downloaded the source from
vim.org and did "./configure; make; make install."  The machines I have
used vim on before were always preinstalled with vim. I use FC6 at home
and RHE on my other 4 servers.  I've never worked with a vimrc
or .viminfo before, except very minimally.  The five things I listed in
my original email were things that always just worked.  I was very
surprised to find vim was not installed this time.  "rpm -qa | grep vim
shows" that vim 6.3 minimal is also installed, but that isn't the one my
system is using, because vim --version shows 7.0.  Are there any
configure options that I can use or is there an enhanced version that I
might be used to?  Should I reinstall? from source or rpm?

Thanks,

Erin