I've been a long-time user of vi editors on Windows (lemmy and an older
version of vim) and now am looking for a vi editor for Windows that supports
the Unicode encodings (such as UTF-8, UTF-16, etc.)

So I installed the latest gvim, version 7, but am disappointed that on my
system at least (Windows XP), it doesn't recognize UTF-8 documents, so
characters outside of the ASCII range are not being rendered properly (it
appears gvim assumes the documents are ISO-8859 encoded.) In addition, in
the documentation and menus, I see nothing mentioned about Unicode, UTF-8
encoding, etc.

So what's going on? I was under the impression that in gvim I'd have a UTF-8
capable editor.

Thanks!

Jon Noring