That's strange, my marks are maintained when I do an reload
the buffer with :e, and the jumplist seems to be preserved,
too. I never use either mechanism, but a little experiment
shows they are still there. Perhaps there are other things
that are erased too though, a side-effect I hadn't thought of.

Ah...I do see some persistance of these things depending on where the marks were in the file. I tested the following in a 100 line file (with "vi -u NONE"):

        :1,30d
        :3
        :ka
        :e!
        :'a

It doesn't return to the line I marked previously (originally line 33), but to line 3 of the previous file. Semi-understandable...just a somewhat peculiar behavior when

        :1,30d
        :3
        :ka
        :u
        :'a

does return to the proper spot. It seems to sorta keep the marks. Similar oddities seem to happen with jumps.

Perhaps it is something to do with my vimrc; I am pretty keen
on keeping things around for as long as possible (:set hidden,
:set history=1000, etc)

I'm somewhere in between...I like long histories, but only set 'hidden' as needed as a reminder to myself. I also don't let .viminfo handle much, as I like to have a fairly fresh copy of vim each time I start it.