No no, the options is local to a buffer. The only way
I can think of is to create a hook of some sort
(events) and do 'set tw=0' after a file loads, but
gurus might know better.

Ah, I see the problem. Yes, vim has hooks (autocommands, verbosely detailed at ":help autocmd.txt" where you can read more than any sane person should want to :) to do just the sort of thing you describe.

You put a line something like the following in your vimrc:

        autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * set tw=0

You can adjust the "*" to be whatever filespecs you might want. If you just want .html or .txt files, it's easy enough to isolate them:

augroup TextFiles
        au!
        autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.htm set tw=0
        autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.html set tw=0
        autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.txt set tw=0
augroup END

However, vim *should default to having 'tw' set to zero. If you start vim with "vim -u NONE", and

        :set tw?

it comes back as 0. This leads me to believe that some plugin/script that you load is monkeying with your setting. You can use

        :verbose set tw?

to learn where it was last set. You might also find ":scriptnames" helfpul for nailing down the troublesome script.

Once you find the troublemaker, you can either edit it or remove it.

Just a few ideas.

-tim