Dr. Uwe Schneider wrote:
Hi!

Thanx a lot for your fast response!

At my PC at home, ":help" works (that's why I can't tell you more about the missing help
feature in the moment), but at my office PC (there I ran vim per X-Term under Unix, SunSolaris),
there comes an error message, like "no help file found in
/usr/local/share/vim7.0/vim/.../vim.hlp". The directory exists and all files, like the syntax
files, are already there, but no vim.hlp.

What's wrong?

Best Regards, Doc

*There* *is* *no* *vim.hlp*

The default $VIMRUNTIME on Unix (as shown by ":echo $VIMRUNTIME" in Vim) is /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/. That directory should have a doc/ subdirectory containing the help files as a number of .txt files, plus a file named "tags" which is the help index.

Similarly, on Windows the default $VIMRUNTIME is "C:\Program Files\vim\vim70". That directory should also have a "doc" subdirectory containing many *.txt files and one "tags" file. *That* is the Vim help system.

There are several possibilities. If the *.txt and tags files mentioned above are present, try

        :verbose set helpfile?

The reply (on Unix) should be

  helpfile=/usr/local/share/vim/vim70/doc/help.txt

If it is anything else, the next line will tell you where that setting was last changed. In that case, that's the culprit.

If the *.txt files are there but the "tags" file isn't, you can regenerate it by doing

        :helptags $VIMRUNTIME/doc

(assuming of course that you have file-creation rights in /usr/share/vim/vim70/doc/) which can take some time: when the cursor goes back to your edit buffer and starts blinking again, you know that it is done.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.