Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
Larry Alkoff wrote:

I have a desktop and newly configured laptop with different versions of vim.

The desktop has vim 6.4.6 which contains the lines in ~/.vimrc
set mouse=a
syntax on
They show in :help

The laptop has vim 7.0.35 and gives an error on the above two vimrc commands. Also they don't show in :help.

What has happened in vim 7? Are there replacements for syntax on and set mouse?

These commands are fine.  So, bring up your new vim and type:
 :version

What does that show?

Regards,
Chip Campbell

":syntax on" will fail in versions compiled without syntax highlighting support; ":set mouse" will fail on versions compiled without mouse support. Maybe he's using a "tiny" version? They still ought to show in
        :help :syntax-on
        :help 'mouse'
If they don't, then I guess Larry's distribution of Vim 7 has been "modified" to cripple the help, in which case he really ought to avail himself of some distribution compiled from true-blue official sources.

Even on my laptop (when I used it) I used a "Big" version of gvim (which had everything except profiling).

Larry: since according to your headers you're on a Unix-like system, you might want to compile your own Vim (the current version is 7.0.195), see my http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

If your laptop uses Windows, you can also avail yourself of Steve Hall's Vim for Windows https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721 (Steve Hall is also the main leader of the "Cream for Vim" project but this page is for Windows Vim without Cream).

Jone's Law:
        The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone
to blame it on.