John Beckett wrote:

> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Using the project name VimTips would be good.
>
> Everyone here is used to the name "Vim Tips" so VimTips sounds good, but on
> a wiki I suggest that the name should be just "Vim".

I'm sure we will use the wiki for other things than tips some day.
Therefore just using "Vim" would be confusing.

> It seems logical to me that a Vim Tips wiki would start with a (brief) page
> outlining what Vim is, then have links to other information. Links would
> include www.vim.org for core information, and a contents page for the wiki
> tips.
>
> To be useful, the existing Vim Tips should be structured into some logical
> order (tips on navigation, search, status line, fonts, tags, etc). Perhaps
> the existing structure of Vim Help could be used.
>
> OTOH the perfect is the enemy of the good, so perhaps you just want to move
> all tips as is, then have people slowly massage them into a coherent set of
> useful tips.

We can do both.  But we need to start somewhere.  Moving all tips over
is the first step.  We can simply keep the tip number at first.  Making
some kind of index is something that anyone can do once the wiki exists.

> The wiki tips project would only be helpful after some severe editing IMHO.
> Some tips should simply be omitted (or held under a section with a name
> suggesting deprecation, like "Old Tips"). Other tips should be combined.
> Unfortunately these steps would involve author angst.

It will be useful right away: There are plenty of ways to search.  Just
like what is done now.  Only the scoring mechanism will be lost.
Hopefully we can think of a good way to find the best tips.

> One good feature of the current Tips web site is that each tip is clearly
> written by a specific person who is prominently credited. That gives the
> author a good reason to correct errors and make updates. Traditionaly that
> would not be done in a wiki, and there may be some loss.

As far as I know it's not possible to edit a tip after it has been
submitted. And many authors don't come back later.

As with all wiki's the users must refrain from messing up someone else's
work.  It's a social effort.  I think we can setup some "basic rules"
for the Vim tips wiki, which as that the original text is separate from
remarks and additions.  But corrections can be made in-place.

136. You decide to stay in a low-paying job teaching just for the
     free Internet access.