shawn bright wrote:
hello there all, i am very new to vim, but i really dig it. I tried
out a script plugin from vim.org and when i start vim, there is an
error message that says

Error detected while processing /home/piv/.vim/plugin/snippetsE
mu.vim:
line  163:
E227: mapping already exists for ^I

i guess i need to know what this is to get rid of it, i suppose it
means that somewhere in my vimrc or a plugin or something that a
keymapping exist for ^I but i cannot find it.

does ^ represent something ? like control ?

thanks for any tips.

Yes, Control. ^I represents Ctrl-I or <Tab> (which are synonymous to Vim). So (in Vim 7)

        :verbose map <Tab>
        :verbose map! <Tab>

should tell you what that key is mapped to, and by which script if any.

Bagdikian's Observation:
        Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American
newspaper is like trying to play Bach's "St. Matthew Passion" on a
ukelele.