Hello.

Look up :help on 'ts' (with the single quotes), 'sts', 'sw' and 'et'.

Basically, you want to :set 'tabstop' to 8, 'shiftwidth' to whatever you
like to indent and 'expandtab' to on.  This will take care of new code
that you write.

To convert existing tab-based indents, set 'tabstop' to the actual
indent (4, for example), type :retab! to retab the whole thing and then
set tabstop back to 8.

At least, that's how I play this game :)

Hope this help,

Salman.