Yongwei Wu wrote:

> On 2/27/07, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > If I understand it correctly is GB18030 a multi-byte character set that
> > is mostly the same as cp936, but adds a number of 4-byte characters.
> > Vim does not support those 4-byte characters, thus setting 'encoding' to
> > gb18030 won't work.
> >
> > But conversion between gb18030 and utf-8 should work, thus when
> > 'encoding' is utf-8 it should be possible to use gb18030 in
> > 'fileencodings' and 'fileencoding'.  Perhaps you can check if that
> > works.
>
> No, with Patch 58 Vim regards gb18030 as an alias for cp936, and
> gb18030 does not work at all: this is the major problem.

Please be specific: What do you mean with "does not work at all"?

Since Vim doesn't support gb18030 internally and only Unicode has all
the characters, I guess it would only work to edit these files when
'encoding' is "utf-8".  However, if gb18030 is used in the environment
that means that console output needs to be converted, thus
'termencoding' also needs to be set.

202. You're amazed to find out Spam is a food.