On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 09:46 -0600, Tom Purl wrote:
> >> Ok everyone, the project's created:
> >>
> >> * http://code.google.com/p/vimtips/
> >
> > I think there's a major disadvantage in using the code.google.com wiki
> > - it only allows people who have been added to the project to edit the
> > wiki via the web interface (please correct me if I'm wrong). At least
> > if it allows editing by anyone with a google id, that would be
> > reasonable enough for anyone to contribute and it'll avoid spam, but
> > if only people added to the project can edit the wiki, it'll become a
> > bottleneck and will discourage anyone who wants to contribute, I don't
> > think many people will go through that much trouble (at least going by
> > the number of 'anonymous' tip notes).
>
> I agree that this could be a problem.  It could be lessened somewhat if
> Google allowed people to join the project using a web interface, but
> they don't.  On the help site
> (http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=56534&topic=10382),
> they recommend that you email one of the project members to gain access,
> which they would allow you to create and edit wiki pages.  But this is
> awkward and slow at best.
>
> To make things a little easier, I'll create a mailing list on the
> project that people can use to request access and make miscellaneous
> comments.  Hopefully this will be a decent workaround until Google gives
> us finer-tuned control over the project's security.

Okay, so now I am really an "outsider" to this whole issue as in that I
have just been following the whole thread with interest because i
regularly check vim tips/scripts at vim.org ...

But now I am a bit confused how things are moving on to the google wiki
because I somehow assumed that most people discussing which wiki to pick
were against the google wiki for various reasons, and in special the
reason that swaroop just brought up again (sign-up troubles).
SPAM-Countermeasures are good..as long as they are not contra-productive
and affecting user experience in a bad way.

Why did things suddenly turn in favor of google again? And is it just me
or is the google wiki design not exactly very pleasing to the eye..

I hope this mail isn't too inappropriate in that I just sit there and do
nothing and then suddenly start to moan. I just want to understand
motivations here.. and looking at the google wiki and at the old vim
tips I just somehow don't see this really happening (from a user/vimtips
contributors point of view.. enough smart people contributing
conversion/import scripts are there alright! vim crowd /is/ smart :)

best regards,
Tobi