Joel Brobecker wrote:
Hello fellow vimmers,

I am working on an x86-linux machine running Debian testing.
I have switched to vim7 soon after it came out, and it's been awesome.
There is just one thing that changed and causes me some trouble: When
I select a visual region, the text region gets copied into the X11
clipboard. My previous X11 selection gets overwriten.  With vim6,
it wasn't doing that. Or maybe it was just by pure luck that my vim6
wasn't doing it?

I would like to restore the previous behavior because it works much
better with my working habits. I very often select something in one
of my X11 windows, then goes to my mailer, hit reply, *delete* parts
of the message I'm quoting through selecting a visual region, and then
use mouse-middle-click to paste the X11 clipboard, and OUCH!
My selection has been overwriten by the selection what I just deleted!
I need to go back to my X11 app and reselect the block again :-(.

That's just the most frequent example of why I'd like to restore
the previous behavior.

I have searched the documentation and the internet, and so far I have
only found one lead: Rebuild vim from sources with -xterm_clipboard.
This seems to be working well, but the drawback of course is that
I am no longer able to use the vim binaries provided by Debian.

I was hoping that there would be a way of configuring vim to turn
xterm_clipboard off. Or maybe do something equivalent.

Any idea?

Thank you,

        :set clipboard=

see ":help 'clipboard'"