On 2007-03-16, "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here is how to avoid "modifying system files": Since there is a test at the
> start of the netrw scripts to avoid double sourcing, you can test them by
> unvimballing them under $VIM/vimfiles, $HOME/vimfiles or $HOME/.vim,
> without removing the older files under $VIMRUNTIME (I know the latter is
> contrary to Dr. Chip's recommendations, but it works). You will just have
> to watch out and remove the "user versions" of the scripts if and when the
> normal Vim upgrade process installs a newer version under $VIMRUNTIME.

In my experience, installing the newer netrw files under
$VIM/vimfiles or $HOME/.vim does _not_ work unless you also delete
the corresponding "system" netrw files under $VIMRUNTIME.  I have
installed vim 7.0 on several systems:

   -  HP-UX 10.20 from source;
   -  SunOS 5.8 from source;
   -  Red Hat Linux 9 from source;
   -  Cygwin pre-compiled;
   -  Cygwin from source;
   -  Windows XP pre-compiled from vim.sf.net;
   -  Windows XP pre-compiled from Cream;

and in every case, when the new "private" netrw files were used
without deleting the "system" netrw files, an edit of a directory
would fail, showing only an empty buffer.

I would have thought that the usual anti-double-sourcing checks
would work for netrw, too, but apparently they don't.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division