Hi Tony, (and others),

Thanks for your (tireless) input, yes, Ctrl-C is certainly a good suggestion,
that works consistently, with no error bells/flashes, no matter how far through
the messages you are.
And I totally agree that it's good to make it easy to know when there is more
output to come or not, by having a different 'end' message.

Thanks also to the other guys who've responded, raising related points.
I suppose I'm biased - after getting hooked on vim, it seemed natural to alias
unix 'more' to instead use unix 'less' - so I can get the vim style cursor
movement commands.
Hence I'm rather accustomed to the unix 'less' manner of scrolling
text/messages.  I guess the current vim approach is a melding of both Unix
'more' and 'less',
which certainly has it's own advantages.  Eg - unix "more" exits at the end of
the messages in a similar way to vim (the key difference being that with vim,
the messages all disappear,
whilst with more, you've probably got them scrolled up your terminal window to
review).

Undoubtedly there would be both "more" devotees and "less" devotees using vim -
so what we've currently got is probably a good compromise.
It may be better, perhaps, to have an option to enable fully compatible
versions of one or the other.  But that's probably a lot of work.

For now, I've got my code patch (not that it's nice to have oddly patched
code).  When I get some time I'll see if I can't find a similar change to
address the other issue raised here, unless someone gets there before me.

Thank you all for your responses.
John