Hello all,

When I see the "swapfile exists" warning in vim, I choose (R)ecover, then write to a temporary file, diff the new file with the old, find that there are no differences, then delete the temporary and .swp files. I'd like to avoid this procedure when (as is the case more often than not) there are no changes between the recovered file and the last saved version.

One bit of data shown upon recovery is:
"modified: no"

What precisely does this tell me about the state of my work?

If I know that I'm not running another vim at the time, may I rely on this to avoid having to do the write-diff-delete procedure and simply choose to (D)elete the old swapfile at the prompt?

If not, has anyone written a vim plugin that automatically 'vimdiff's the recovered file with the existing file?

Thanks in advance.