You are right.my runtimepath is wrong.
I updated vim to 7.0 using apt-get, but left  the old vimrc  unchanged.
I checked the vimrc and replaced /usr/share/vim/vim63 to /usr/share/vim/vim70,
It is OK now.
thank you!

Peter Hodge wrote:
--- wangxu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

the results are

  filetype=
  syntax=

Why could this happen?

Not sure? Do you get any results if you type

  :au filetypedetect * *.sh

You should see something like:

  --- Auto-Commands ---
  filetypedetect  BufNewFile
      *.sh      call SetFileTypeSH(getline(1))
  filetypedetect  BufRead
      *.sh      call SetFileTypeSH(getline(1))

If you don't see any commands like those above, then the syntax will not work;
perhaps your 'runtimepath' is wrong?

Also, check the value of 'eventignore', it might prevent the FileType detection
from activating:

  :set eventignore?

should show:

    eventignore=

regards,
Peter

Peter Hodge wrote:
Hello,

Also you can use

  :set ft? syntax?

to see which filetype has been detected, and which syntax has been
activated.
regards,
Peter

--- Xi Juanjie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"syntax on" should be ok.

Please use :version to confirm your vim was compiled with "+syntax"
function and keep the corresponding syntax file in vim runtime folder.

Also to check if there has any "syntax off" in /etc/vim/vimrc.local.

wangxu wrote:
Why don't I have the syntax highlighting when editing files like *.sh
*.xml,etc?
After commands like "syntax on",still nothing happened.
below is my /etc/vim/vimrc,what else should I do to turn the syntax
highlighting on?
Thanks,
shell.

set

runtimepath=~/.vim,/etc/vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/addons,/usr/share/vim/vim63,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/addons/after,~/.vim/after
set nocompatible " Use Vim defaults instead of 100% vi compatibility
set backspace=indent,eol,start " more powerful backspacing

set autoindent " always set autoindenting on
set textwidth=0 " Don't wrap lines by default
set viminfo='20,\"50 " read/write a .viminfo file, don't store more than
" 50 lines of registers
set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command line history
set ruler " show the cursor position all the time

set

suffixes=.bak,~,.swp,.o,.info,.aux,.log,.dvi,.bbl,.blg,.brf,.cb,.ind,.idx,.ilg,.inx,.out,.toc
if &term =~ "xterm-debian" || &term =~ "xterm-xfree86" || &term =~
"xterm"
set t_Co=16
set t_Sf=[3%dm
set t_Sb=[4%dm
endif

vnoremap p <Esc>:let current_reg = @"<CR>gvdi<C-R>=current_reg<CR><Esc>

syntax on

if has("autocmd")
" Enabled file type detection
" Use the default filetype settings. If you also want to load indent
files
" to automatically do language-dependent indenting add 'indent' as well.
filetype plugin on

endif " has ("autocmd")

augroup filetype
au BufRead reportbug.* set ft=mail
au BufRead reportbug-* set ft=mail
augroup END

try
if filereadable('/etc/papersize')
let s:papersize = matchstr(system('/bin/cat /etc/papersize'), '\p*')
if strlen(s:papersize)
let &printoptions = "paper:" . s:papersize
endif
unlet! s:papersize
endif
catch /E145/