Zdenek Sekera wrote:
[...]
Just to add more to the confusion, on my box (RedHat Enterprise Linux,
512Mb Ram) I have

maxmapdepth=1000
maxmempattern=1000
maxmem=257676
maxmemtot=257676

Which tells me the last two can hardly be in kb and all over I don't
understand what really they mean.

---Zdenek

According to the help, they _are_ in KB and can reach up to two million (i.e., 2 gig). I sure wonder according to what Vim sets themat startup.

Why do you think they can't be in KB? The above would mean slightly over 256 meg, which sounds "reasonable" for a 512MB box (more reasonable at least, than the "249 K" which I see).

"Hit any key to continue" does _not_ mean you should hit the power switch.