"Scanning tags.
E15: Invalid expression:
substitute(v:fname,'s$','','g')substitute(v:fname,'s$','','g')"

i get this error only in gvim.  vim7 and vim6.3 work fine.

I suspect your gvimrc loads something that causes the problem. It seems odd that the problem would only occur in gvim, but not be present in "non-g"vim.

Things to check:

-check for mappings in gvim that might be intruding on your "[I"

        :map

-take a look in your gvimrc file(s) (both in your ~/.gvimrc and possibly your /etc/gvimrc to see if there's something funky in there. You'd be looking for things in there that aren't particularly GUI-related.

-I presume it works just fine if you start vim with

        gvim -u NONE file1.txt file2.txt ...

-compare the output of ":scriptnames" between your vim and gvim runs to see which scripts are loading.

-ensure that you're starting vim with the same list of files each time.

Just a few ideas for troubleshooting. The results of the above tests will help narrow downwhere the problem resides.

-tim