Using Debian Etch (stable), vim 7.0.122

Inside ~/.bashrc, I have a function

# Use gvim as a manpage reader
function wman {
  /usr/bin/man $* | /usr/bin/col -bp | /usr/bin/iconv -c | \
  /usr/bin/gview -c 'set ft=man nomod nolist' -
}

This opens the man page in a new gview window. However, this invocation does
not result in a title for the newly opened gview window. I want to set the
title of gview window to the 2nd argument of the bash script. How can I do
this?

For example if I do

wman whoami

I want the newly opened gview's title to be set to whoami.

I tried

/usr/bin/gview -c 'set ft=man nomod nolist titlestring="$1"' -
/usr/bin/gview -c 'set ft=man nomod nolist titlestring=$1' -

but both do not work. How can I expand $1 and set the window title
appropriately?

thanks
raju

--