On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:23:22 +0200
"A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> fREW wrote:
> [...]
> >> Which window manager(s) do you have installed? There may or may
> >> not be a similar tool (showing the various running processes with
> >> their CPU and memory
> >> use) in the same package. If there isn't, you may try to use
> >> "top", a console
> >> tool, but it is less precise (IIUC, it shows memory use as %, not
> >> as KBytes)
> >> and you would have to sort its output to make sure that your Vim
> >> processes are
> >> not pushed off the bottom of the display (I guess sorting either A
> >> to Z or Z
> >> to A by command name might do it). (Once it's running, hit h for
> >> help. Most
> >> commands are single-letter and case-sensitive.)
> >>

> >> Best regards,
> >> Tony.
> >> --
> >> hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
> >> 177. You log off of your system because it's time to go to work.
> >>

> > I have windowmaker installed.  I am honestly a little surprised
> > that I can't get top to do this accurately.  Isn't there any
> > general purpose unix command that can do this?
> >
> > -fREW
> >

> I don't know; the problem is finding it. You may try starting top
> anyway, and see if its VIRT, RES and SHR columns are what you want;
> or you may try fishing after something more suitable using the
> "apropos" utility (I'll let you guess which keywords to use).
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Try `ps aux` at your shell.  It will give you columns indicating the
VSZ and RSS of each process.  VSZ represents the full virtual memory
size of the process in kilobytes; RSS is the resident set size, or the
amount of unswapped physical memory in use by the process (also in
kilobytes).  These two figures will give you an idea of how much memory
is being consumed -- the latter (RSS) is your RAM use.

--
Taylor Venable
[EMAIL PROTECTED]