On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 03:09:38PM EDT, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2007-04-11, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Hello Bram,
> >  Is it possible to add this item to the vim voting list ?:
> >
> >   "collaboration of N vim instances editing same file"
> >   -- Ability of N instances of vim to absorb, merge and show changes
> >   to the same file made by other running vim instances [ either by reading
> >   other vim's swapfiles, or somehow else ] ?
> >
> >  Can this be added to SOC ?
>
> If you want this collaboration to occur in real time, then I would
> recommend that you use a screen session in multi-user mode.  This
> solution already exists; it works with applications other than vim;
> it avoids complicating the vim code.
>
> See the screen(1) man page and search for "multi".

Are you (Is he) talking about several users concurrently modifying the
same file(s) .. possibly from different geographic locations?

I can't think of any valid reason why one lonely user - me for instance
- would want to fire up several instances of vim to edit the same file.

Or could he be talking about some non-interactive mode .. with possibly
scripts  updating a common file?

Sorry I hooked up to this particular message .. I no longer have the
OP's initial message.

Thanks,
cga